I set up Open Outreach for our non-profit agency because it seems to have most of the features I needed. The features that I like the most are:
- Front page with rotating images and most recent posts
- Maps to our locations
- Articles (I've made other page types but this seems to be the one that can fit for most uses)
- Books (I just add my articles to appropriate books)
- Quick linking of a new article to our FaceBook page.
Things that I have tried but found to not be much use:
- Links pages - I found it simpler to just create an article with all the links I want to include
Things that I have had trouble with:
- Images - I have given up on using the image field at the top of most content types. If I want to add an image I put it in the body field and I don't have trouble with them. I'm fairly certain that the problems with the top image field relate to problems I had with my hosting provider. Things worked for the first week or three and then they went sideways. After much back and forth with my hosting provider I have gotten most everything working properly except that field. Someday I may have the time to tackle it again.
- Hosting provider - really, they have been great and bent over backwards to make things work, but they did break things that were working so they should fix them. I would have to go back to find notes from when the problems started to give any specifics but it involved php limits (that they changed to help me get running but then reset back down later) and also some access settings that they changed after I had things up and running. If I was starting out new, I would make sure that I found a host that is specifically supporting Open Outreach - not just via the million and one things available in the auto installers such as Softaculus (I didn't use an auto-installer).
Additional module I added:
- Webforms - I have had no trouble with this since adding it.
Thank you so much to those who make Open Outreach happen.